Sunday, April 13, 2014

Why Mess With Perfection?


In honor of the first episode tonight of the final season of one of my all time favorite TV shows "Mad Men," I write this blog in hopes of keeping the classic dishes, (food, not women) of the 1960's alive.  Rick and I were watching a recorded episode of "Top Chef Masters" featuring two actors from the show (married) who were guests.  The theme of the episode is what prompted this post and what initiated my rant.  They shared that they are always asked to host and/or attend 1960's themed dinner parties, and they find the food of that time to be so boring.  WHAT?!?!?!?!?!? Classics like, Coq au Vin, Orange Duck, Beef Wellington, Veal Oscar, Steak Diane, etc....OMG!  The challenge was to take these classics and others, and reinvent them. Or as they say today, "deconstruct." Oh brother.... Why? Do we honestly need to see Veal cut into a diamond, the hollandaise sauce made into foam, and the asparagus shaped into some kind of flower standing on end?  I say NOT!  I certainly know that there are ways to individualize a dish, but today's chefs are going to the extreme.

Many of you know that I am the daughter of a "REAL" French Chef. (I have a feeling he is up in heaven helping me write this.)  I have never professed to be a chef, but I do believe that having been raised in the french restaurant business, I learned a thing or two.  I am simply a good cook.  I still love the classics that my Dad made, and I obviously have enjoyed experimenting with many different types of cuisine, but why mess with perfection?  Although I am an Interior Designer by Trade, I am passionate about cooking for family, friends, and now sharing all things related to HOME, one of course being food.  Via this blog, Pinterest, and my business Facebook Page, I will continue to post pictures of food from my kitchen, hopefully soon including recipes.

So tonight I'm making Chicken Curry.  Always a family winner.  It was one of my Dad's favorites......

Thanks for visiting!

Veronique

2 comments:

  1. I woud LOVE that chicken curry recipe And, I am loving your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Susie! I will be posting recipes as soon as I can. I am also posting on Pinterest with an entire "board" dedicated to my personal dishes. I think that's where I will be posting those recipes, at least that's what I am told is the preferred method. :-)
    So happy you are enjoying my blog! Sure would appreciate if you could spread the word! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete