Thursday, May 15, 2014

Jack's Firefighter Bedroom

I have to admit that although I truly do enjoy designing all kinds of spaces, I hold a special love for nurseries and kids rooms.  I suppose it's because it often begins with a special dream; a vision.  A few years ago while working on a whole house project, I was asked to design a bedroom for my clients' 6 year old boy, Jack.  This is a boy that after wearing a uniform all day at his private school, would swiftly change into another "uniform" of sorts, that being the closest thing his Mother could recreate to resemble that of a Firefighter/Paramedic uniform. She even had special badges made for him.  Jack and I have become forever friends, and due to his passion for Firefighters, I was given the privilege and the challenge of creating a room that could fulfill his dream, but also be respectful of this incredible profession.

I was adamant that this room would not be "childlike." I wanted to pay respect and hopefully give Jack the room he could love and enjoy for many years.  I hoped to create something that would not be too cute. My first thought was to try and find authentic pieces to incorporate into the design. I always knew I would add color, lockers, signs, etc...What could I add that was unique? I decided to start searching on Craigslist.  I was looking for any type of old Firefighter items. Within a day or so, I found a post about some old Firefighter boots.  I was intrigued.  I got a response from a man that became the most integral part of this project.  The boots belonged to his departed Father, and after he and his siblings had gone through all of his personal belongings from his years of service, they decided to share a few special items to someone that might really appreciate them.  He loved my story of the boy that was enamored with anything and all Firefighter related, and thought this would be the perfect fit.  We met, and as they say, the rest is history. He was so impressed by Jack's passion that he donated the boots, turn out gear, old brass fire extinguishers, a lamp that sat on his father's desk for years, badges, tie clips, patches, tools, and a most treasured helmet. I really wanted to find a fire hose to incorporate into the room, and a local firehouse came to the rescue.  My handyman created the ultimate holder for it.  I had window treatments made, and bedding with a custom logo including Jack's name.  One of the favorite additions was the fire pole that Jack quickly learned made for a better way to get out of bed.  Words can never express how grateful we all are at the generosity of this man and his family.  This room is loved and cherished by a wonderful young boy, but most importantly, the special items have been given a new life.

Never underestimate dreams...Sometimes with a little help and God's will, special things can happen.

Thanks for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment