Sunday, April 27, 2014

Miss Scarlett!

As any of my clients will attest to, I LOVE window treatments!  When I first learned I would be moving to the Atlanta area and reinventing and building my business in a new place, I feared I would only be doing "Scarlett O'Hara" draperies!  I couldn't get that picture out of my head of the old Carol Burnett skit with her coming down the grand staircase wearing a brass drapery rod on her shoulders and green velvet panels hanging upon her with large gold tassels tied at the waist.  Classic...
"I saw it in the winda and I just couldn't resist it!"



Fast forward five years... I actually have nothing against velvet draperies, as a matter of fact, sometimes they are the perfect fit!  These days most clients prefer a more simple or lighter look. Stationary panels made out of linens or blends, cottons, textures, raw silks, and of course a bit of pattern is always welcome.  Remember, I survived being a designer in the 80's and 90's so I did my share of swags and cascades, antique satins, ceiling to floor operable draperies, and embroidered sheers.  Those days are thankfully gone along with the accompanying hair dos of the day.

Drapery hardware has also become less fussy through the years.  Today I prefer using simple metal/iron rods, often black in color, but other finishes are used when complimenting existing fixtures.  Wood rods are also an option, but again much simpler finials are being used rather than the very large, ornate and carved selections of the past couple of decades.

Be it classic and traditional, contemporary or transitional, the look of stationary panels softens the windows and in my opinion completes the entire look and feel of the space.  I simply do not feel a room is complete without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment