Thursday, May 1, 2014

What's for dinner?

As I continue sharing blogs about me, my work, family and food, you will learn that food is such a significant part of my life.  More specifically, cooking.  I have already mentioned that I am the daughter of a French Chef, and although not a chef, I gained such vast knowledge from him and most importantly he cultivated the fulfillment I get from sharing my love of cooking.

Although I believe my ship has sailed regarding ever doing a TV show for the Food Channel or HGTV, this blog is proving to be the next best thing.  I dreamed of that for years, and for my cooking show I would have focused on the basic comfort foods I was raised on, always adding personal touches about my heritage.  The reality about food, in my opinion, is that most people truly do enjoy the family favorites of their youth.  For me the first meal that always comes to mind, whether that was in my own childhood home, or dinner around my Grandmother's table in Belgium, is Roast Chicken, French fries (actually Belgian), homemade mayonnaise, and for dessert, cream puffs.

I do believe that if my children were asked, this would be one of the first meals requested after an extended period away from our dinner table.  I suppose there are a few little secrets to preparing the perfect roast chicken, but it honestly is one of the easiest things to make.  I will be sharing my recipes on my Pinterest page in the near future.
T
There is nothing better than French Fries (frites) with the accompaniment of homemade mayonnaise; a staple in the Belgian household.  I believe a Belgian woman cannot marry unless she knows how to make frites and mayonnaise!  I have reversed the minds of many at my table who believed that ketchup was the only condiment for fries.  In Belgium you will still find small food vending stands that serve frites with a dollop of mayonnaise on top.  A nice cold Stella also works well with this meal. :-)
Cream puffs (choux a la creme) are probably my favorite dessert.  I have literally made thousands in my lifetime!  So simple and light, and of course topped off with melted Belgian chocolate. 
  
Remember that food is not just a means to fill our bellies, but a way to share and create lifetime memories.

Thanks for visiting!

Veronique

No comments:

Post a Comment