Sunday, August 3, 2014

Some people eat to live...I live to EAT!!!

When I think of all things that pertain to home and family, one of the first things that enters my mind is food.  It is the fabric of our being, and through it, we all connect.  I honestly believe that food is on my mind pretty much all of my waking hours.  I know that food is a constant theme of many of my dreams as well!  I suppose it's not too unusual since I am the daughter of a French Chef, but honestly, I am always thinking of what to make for dinner, and thinking of new options and creations.

I pride myself in instilling in all of our children the importance of celebrating family and sharing the love of sitting down at the table for dinner.  When we were raising our brood, we always sat down at the dinner table as a family, no matter how late that baseball/football/golf game ended, ice skating practice took, or that band practice lasted.  We shared stories of the day, prospects of the days ahead, and the joys and conflicts of simply being a family.  Although we are now "empty nesters" we still sit together every evening to enjoy our meal in the dining room and reflect on the day.  Our greatest joy is celebrating "family dinners" on Sundays with our children and grandchildren who currently live close enough to share.

Throughout my career I have always been asked how on earth I can make a home made dinner every night?!?!?  Well, that's easy...First of all, it takes planning, the desire to actual do it, and a husband who may be able to assist. ;-)  For me personally, I actually find a great deal of pleasure and satisfaction from making dinner, and after a long and sometimes trying day, it seems to always be the best medicine to relieve any and all stress. And of course, you must be flexible that dinner may not always be at the exact or preferred time every night.

In my business, I am often asked to design/update current dining rooms.  My question to each of my clients is always this..."How often do you eat in your dining room?"  The overwhelming response is often the same..."Oh, maybe two or three times a year!"  What?  The reason is that the dreaded room is usually referred to as "the formal dining room!"  That's exactly the image I have been trying to eliminate for years!  Why can't we simply call it "the room we sit down as a family to eat and make memories in."  Okay, I guess I'm going to have to work on a better name for that space.  It is always my goal to create a more relaxed and comfortable area where all feel engaged and want to eat in that room.  Regardless of its' name, I wish to share the importance of creating an atmosphere where we can enjoy a meal, with the hope that conversation and relaxation ensues.

If anything comes from this post, I sincerely wish to share that dinner does not have to be fancy or complicated.  Whether it be the tried and true family classic recipes my father instilled in me, or the traditions of your own family, it really doesn't matter.  I love to try new recipes, or even creating my own twists.  Sometimes I fail, but it always makes for a good story!  A good burger or spaghetti is always a hit around here, but make it from fresh ingredients, and try to add your own special touch.

It's never too late to start this, my friends.  Food is love.  It unites us all. 

Bon Appetit!

Thanks for visiting!
 Our all time family favorite.  Roast chicken. So simple.
 Spaghetti with Bolognese sauce.
Another favorite.  Split pea soup.
Nothing better than homemade french fries.  Aka...frites!  Oh, and homemade mayonnaise too!
 Fish tacos!
 Quiche.  And yes, real men do love it.
 Nothing better than a good steak dinner.
 Baked, not fried, zucchini strips.
 Asian chicken legs.
 
Sliders.

No comments:

Post a Comment